We are long past due in finding a balance between the rights of Americans and the safety of Americans.
I personally have never owned a gun, never wanted to own a gun, never even shot a gun. I don’t hunt; never have, never will. However, the 2nd amendment of the Constitution gives Americans the right to own a gun. I will always respect the 2nd amendment, and I would not want to take that right away. I respect those who want to own a hand gun to protect their family and their home, and though I am personally against hunting, I respect the Constitutional right of those who do.
The problem is - the Constitution was written way before military assault rifles were invented. The problem is - the NRA has a stranglehold on our political system. The problem is, specifically:
- More than 100,000 people in America are shot in murders, assaults, suicides & suicide attempts, accidents, or police intervention every single year.
- Guns kill an average of 36 people every day in America.
- 141 children died in unintentional or accidental shootings last year ~ that’s 1 child losing his/her life every other day.
- On an average month, 50 women are shot to death by intimate partners in the US. Abused women are five times more likely to be killed by their abuser if the abuser owns a gun, and nearly two-thirds of American women killed with guns are killed by their intimate partners.
- 2017 was the deadliest year in modern history for mass shootings; there were 427 mass shootings, including Las Vegas which left 58 dead and more than 500 injured, and the Sutherland Springs Church Massacre that killed 26 and injured 20.
- … and Donald Trump Jr wants fewer restrictions on gun silencers because his ears hurt when he hunts wild animals in Africa.
92% of Americans want expanded background checks, 54% want a ban on assault weapons, and 54% want a ban on high capacity magazines. I agree wholeheartedly with the majority of the American people and support these measures. The time to act is now to address this public health emergency. Yet after the tragedy of Sandy Hook elementary school shooting in 2012, I’ve never been more disappointed in our leadership; nothing was done. And since then we’ve seen deadly mass shooting like Orlando, Las Vegas, and Sutherland Springs, as well as numerous, almost daily smaller mass shootings that now hardly make the news. I will never allow this to become the new normal.
When I get to Congress, I will stand with Gabby Giffords and Chris Murphy to pass national common sense gun safety laws. I will fight to:
- Require universal background checks on ALL gun sales, to prevent guns from getting into hands of felons and mentally ill.
- Close loopholes that allow private sellers at gun shows and on internet to sell to others without background checks.
- Promote a nationwide ban on assault rifles & high-capacity magazines.
- 23% of perpetrators of mass shootings suffer from mental issues, we need expanded mental health care, not cuts to mental health as Trump proposes.
- Block Concealed Carry Reciprocity from passing, a federal law that would supercede state laws, allowing people from states with weaker gun laws to carry concealed, loaded guns into states with tougher gun laws (like California).
- Work to close the “boyfriend loophole”. Currently there is no federal law that requires domestic abusers to surrender their firearms, and lack of universal background checks enables domestic abusers to buy guns from private sellers. Abused women are 5 times more likely to be killed if their abuser owns a firearm, and domestic violence assaults involving a gun are 12 times more likely to end in death. It is essential that federal law keep deadly weapons out of domestic abusers hands.
- Locally, I will continue working with Moms Demand Action and the Brady Campaign to make sure their voices are heard in Washington.
- Finally, I will block all efforts by Donald Trump Jr, the GOP & the NRA to push their gun silencer bill. Enough is enough.